Respected racer in comfortable cruise mode.
1984 Farr 1020, ‘Choice Transport’
Choice Transport, a Farr 1020, has been a friendly face on the racing scene for over twenty years. Her race history belies her superb cruising comfort below decks. Now after 23 years with her current owner this very tidy yacht is for sale making her the transport of choice for this summer’s fun. Priced to sell $55 000
The Farr 1020 is synonymous with easy, economical racing and cruising sailing in a well respected brand of affordable production yachts. Made of solid GRP with a modern walk through transom, nifty duckboard and plenty of space below decks, the Farr 1020 transformed how families friends and crew can test themselves against a robust fleet of other 1020’s or simply cruise with style and speed in a yacht of timeless design and pedigree.
Choice Transport has earned her stripes having completed 13 Coastal Classics, 3 Tauranga races as well as enjoying the weekly ‘around the bouys’ races. She has been offshore to New Caledonia and her current owner has owned her for 23 years campaigning her and then cruising on her. She is now for sale with a full set of sails to race or cruise.
Length: 10.2 m
Designer: Bruce Farr
Builder: to be advised
Construction: Solid GRP
Engine: Diesel Volvo 19HP 3 cylinder 1800 hours 6.5 knots @ 1800 rpm.
Drive: Sail drive
Propeller: 3 bladed Volvo folding prop on sail drive.
Diesel tank: 55 litre stainless steel diesel tank with baffles.
- Mainsail 7 years old, good cruising condition, slab reef.
- Genoa, Kevlar #1 on furlex roller.
- #2 composite genoa
- #3 storm jib
- 2 x spinnakers
- Aluminium mast single spreader.
- Roller furling for headsails.
- Aluminium spinnaker pole and carbon fibre jockey pole for jib.
- Starboard cap shroud and inner was replaced in August 2020 and checked by Steve McCabe.
- Running rigging: All lines return to cockpit through piano key clutches onto self tailing winches.
- Self tailing primary Harken 40’s
- Stainless steel sink and ample bench space.
- Foot pump cold water.
- Refrigeration: Fridge / Freezer engine run. Can be run as fridge or freezer.
- Cooker, Gas oven, 2 x burner stove and grill.
- Gas: 1 aluminium LPG cylinder.
- Manual Jabsco. New 2021 Holding tank, plastic fitted beside head.
- WC, New Pump unit December 2020.
- Water, 3 x stainless steel tanks, 145 litres
- Double forepeak cabin with new overhead forward hatch.
- Aft double in quarter berth.
- Saloon double plus single in saloon.
- Furuno GPS, 2 x ships.
- VHF 1 x handheld vhf, Depth and wind instruments.
- Fusion stereo with extra speakers.
- Ships clock.
- Signaling mirror.
- Good sized chart table.
- 1 x House deep cycle 2017.
- 1 x Starter new 2020.
- 105 amp hours.
Additional Items included
- 1 x Manual bilge.
- electric bilge.
- 4 x lifejackets inflatable.
- fire extinguisher x 4.
- fire blanket over galley.
- spotlight, torch.
The starboard inner ss wire and cap shroud was replaced by Steve McCabe in August 2020 after it was struck by debris from the Westhaven tornado. A thorough rig check was also completed.
Epirb and Flares should be renewed by the new owner so all contacts and in service expectations are assured.
Ground Tackle & Additional
- Windlass: Electric windlass operated at bow.
- Anchor: Primary with 30m x 10mm chain, 50m warp
- Dinghy: Zodiac 2020 with floor slats.
- Outboard: 2HP Yamaha.
*The information and specifications supplied here are believed to be correct to the best of our knowledge as provided by the current owner. Potential buyers are responsible for confirming the accuracy of this information. They should inspect the boat and have a professional survey completed.