Fantastic liveaboard for as big as your dreams.
1975 Bowman 57 ‘Maokiwi’
Be it for living aboard, coastal cruising or open seafaring circumnavigating New Zealand, this is the Masterpiece in your Masterplan. The Bowman 57 design was the legendary predecessor to Oyster yachts and represents an iconic era of prestigious ocean sailing yachts with classic, timeless style and performance that stands out even more impressively amongst today’s modern cruising fleets.
Maokiwi is a shining example of a prestigious ocean passage making yacht that would make a supremely stylish liveaboard or the masterpiece in your cruising masterplan.
A beautifully balanced ketch cutter rig makes her extremely versatile and easy to control in all wind and sea states. Made of solid GRP and weighing in at 19 tonnes she is a safe, sturdy, dependable ocean passage maker.
The interior is extremely inviting with beautiful varnish woodwork throughout. Currently a live aboard this yacht presents in extremely good condition.
Maokiwi arrived from Europe sailed by her family and presents superbly. For the aficionado of Bowman quality, she will not disappoint. NZ$275,000
Make: Bowman 57
Length: 17.37m / 57ft
Hull Material: Fibreglass
Safety Equipment: Offshore
Dry Weight: 19,000kg
Cabins: x 3
Berths: x 7
- Ketch Cutter rig, twin furling headsails, ss rigging professionally checked in 2015
- New main, mizzen, genoa and staysail in 2015 – offshore spec’d yet only used in coastal conditions.
- Fully battened main, mizzen, twin furling headsail and furling staysail, new stormsail,
- 2 x spinnakers & pole.
- Yanmar 4GH4HT 110Hp inboard diesel
- Engine hours – 2142
- SSB w/modemSSB #1 – icom ic m710
- SSB # – yaesu dt900
- Modem PTC2 pro
- Vhf #1 icom ic m506 (2015)
- Vhf #2 icom ic m45
- GPS x2 Furuno GPS navigator
- Furuno radar model 1623
- Electronic wind, depth, log B&G Hydra 2000
- Chart plotter on laptop with software connected to GPS.
- 3 burner gas stove w/oven,
- Fridge, freezer,
- pressure hot water.
- 2x 370 litres in grp tanks
- Cabins x 3
- 7 berths, 2 double, 5 single;
- 2 x head w/holding tank,
- 2 x shower;
- Washing machine
- Webasto diesel heater
- Full cockpit cover,
- RIB w/18HP Tohatsu.
Additional Items included
- 8 persons liferaft- lLast serviced in 2015.
- Some inflatable lifejacjets and foam jackets.
- Fire extinguishers
Please note it is advisable that all safety gear should be checked for service dates and replaced in the name of the new owner.
A brief history from the owner.
We decided to go sailing in the South Pacific islands in about 2010. Started to look for a suitable boat for our young family (2 yo daughter then).
Found this boat in Australia in 2012 and sailed her across the Tasman.
Previous owner just finished his 3 year sailing from Canada.
We left for Dubai in 2013 for 2 years and left the boat in a Marina.* [See below]
We came back in 2015 and started to prepare the boat to leave for our trip to the islands. Despite many preparations other commitments meant we instead explored the New Zealand coastline.
I then started to work again and we have been living as a family on board ever since. The regular maintenance is being completed and the boat presents in good condition.
*In 2014 while in the marina, the yacht suffered water flooding to below the floorboards from a loose hose plug. Insurance paid for a full inside engine room refit including a new second hand engine, electrical looms and main switch boards all replaced. In the seven years the owners have owned the boat since then there has been no electrical or mechanical issues or malfunctions from the event and the yacht has benefited from the full upgrade.
Hull and Decks:
- Hull requires fresh antifoul – athough regularly cleaned.
- Decks penetration protection, resealed and prepainted in 2018
Ground Tackle & Power Generation
- 3 x anchor w/40m chain, warps
- Electric capstan
- Anchor and chain
- 75lb anchor and 40m chain.
- Fortress aluminum anchor
- Additional 50lb anchor and chain
- Northern Lights 5KW generator
- Generator hours: 466hrs
- Solar total and amp hours.
- New 300w panel, new controller from 2015
- Wind generator.
Type of battery:
- Gel 200 ah (x5 new less than 2 yo and x2 need be changed)
*The information and specifications supplied here are believed to be correct to the best of our knowledge as provided by the current owner. Potential buyers are responsible for confirming the accuracy of this information. They should inspect the boat and have a professional survey completed.