Iconic New Zealand Racer/Cruiser
1970 Sparkman & Stephens IOR 36, ‘Young Nick’
A rare opportunity to own this exceptional example of an iconic, New Zealand built racer/cruiser.
Young Nick, built in 1970 for Lou Fisher by Brin Wilson boat builders, is a name synonymous with New Zealand’s early glory days of ocean racing. With the development of the IOR One Ton racing fleet, Young Nick became a household name in yachting circles.
Young Nick continues to attract attention from overseas as the starting point of the many high points in our international yachting reputation.
First impressions of Young Nick is her striking colour and beautiful original condition maintained to the highest standard. Her teak decks present in very good condition and are perfectly complimented by the high gloss varnish work around the saloon. The cabin roof is painted a classic pale blue. New canvas on the sail cover and dodger finishes the look. The cockpit is long and roomy with a wooden crafted tiller that raises to clear the cockpit. Instruments above the companionway give a clear view of al the information required.
Stepping into the saloon you are immediately welcomed by the warm golden glow of kauri craftsmanship. They simply do not build boats like this any more.
A handy nav station to port offers a full size chat table (old school) as well as an array of electronic navigation instruments. It also displays the myriad of ocean racing awards earned during her campaign years. Galley to starboard offers very good refigeration in towards the large aft quarter berth.
There’s plenty of seating for entertaining both inside and outside. The forward double forepeak berth is spacious and light. Overall Young Nick presents very well as an iconic part of New Zealand’s international yachting prowess. If you like the idea of being a part of New Zealand yachting history, as the new owner of Young Nick an exciting future awaits.
Comments: Young Nick is a fine example of New Zealand’s yachting history with a fantastic race record and now a very capable coastal or ocean passage maker in cruising mode. This vessel presents in very nice condition and is revered both here in New Zealand and around the world, particularly by the French ocean racers. Berthed in Gulf Harbour Marina and available to view by appointment..
‘Young Nick’ – IOR One Ton
Sail number: 1185
Designer: Sparkman & Stephens 36
Builder: Brin Wilson
Construction: Triple Kauri
Engine: diesel, Yanmar 3YCM 30hp, 490hours, regularly serviced / maintained by professional engineer. 2012 mechanical maintenance log available
Drive: Shaft and seals, pulled 2012 and checked by Orams before new prop installed.
Propeller: 3 bladed Gori folding with overdrive facility. New 2012, regularly serviced / anodes and professional prop speed applications
Diesel tank: 90 litre Stainless Diesel tank with vent.
- Mainsail serviced by Doyle Dec 2020, good cruising condition,3 slab reef.
- #1 Genoa, Used 3 times, race condition as new.
- #2 Genoa, new white UV strip and serviced by Doyle Dec 2020.
- Good cruising condition 2 x Spinnakers, Storm sail(s)
- Mast head aluminium mast single spreader.
- Roller furling for headsails with twin track system for sail changes.
- Halyards, removed every winter and stored, mouse lines in mast for stowed non racing ones.
- Spinnaker and Jockey poles Aluminium deck mounted.
- Stainless Steel Wire
- 2 x primary Barient
- 2 x secondary Barient
- 1 x companionway for reefing
- Fridge / Freezer, extra large single unit.
- New 12V compressor and plates supplied and installed by Fridgetech 2012. Can be run as Fridge or Freezer.
- New Eno 2 burner cooker installed 2012 with certified gas installation
Water tanks, approx. 220 litres in three independent aluminium tanks.
- Manual Jabsco. Holding tank, plastic fitted beside head
- WC, New Pump unit December 2020
- Double Cabin
- 4 single Berths
GPS at chart table
VHF at chart table, (requires new antenna mounted aft deck). Original wind / speed etc units
- Raymarine piston type, main unit at companionway with hand unit for cockpit control.
- Dependable and reliable.
Additional Items included
Dinghy, new 2.77 hard-floor (aluminium) inflatable new December 2020 with fitted cover.
Outboard, new December 2019, Yamaha (5HP) 5CMHS, less than 50hours regularity serviced and flushed.
Ground Tackle & Power Generation
Windlass, Bronzed 12V electric replaced 2014 by GMS Auckland.
Anchor, cqr on aprox 15m chain, swivel and 50 warp
Second anchor under forepeak berth
- Batteries: 1 House, 1 Starter both replaced new end 2020
*The information and specifications supplied here are believed to be correct to the best of our knowledge as provided by the current owner. Potential buyers are responsible for confirming the accuracy of this information. They should inspect the boat and have a professional survey completed.